Monday, November 14, 2011

Parenting 101...nope, make this Parenting 201 (a quick advanced course)

I'm a mom and I have a short fuse sometimes...so sue me.

well, don't do that. ...but I probably deserve a good slap on the face sometimes.

I changed my title from Parenting 101 to 201 b/c this is beyond diaper changing and patting the back for comfort. I wish I read this article sooner b/c my older daughter has heard a lot of "reacting" from me that I now need to unwind.

Kids whine and they tantrum BUT I just read an article that mentioned "Responding vs. Reacting." How powerful is that? It floored me b/c I am a reactor forcing compliance rather than speaking from the heart and communicating with a response that I heard my daughters' problems and that I'm their guardian/safety net. As a Christian parent don't you think that this is the way God nurtures us? How horrific would it be if He reacted each time we were naughty? geez, I'd be in deep trouble.

Here is the article I found: Circle of Moms

I'm sharing this because I'm not the world's greatest mom but I can help those who come after me. I promise I'll try my best to respond to my children's needs vs. reacting.

No comments:

Post a Comment